Saturday, July 9, 2011

2/3


Odds are I will make it to ninety. My father died at eighty of an oddball disease that I am betting I will not contract and my mother made to 94 in good health except for three years of senility. So, this leads me to believe that I am in the mist of a 2/3rd life crisis. My mid-life crisis came a little early but this one is right on schedule.

This is when folks my age start dreaming about RV’s. In our late teens most of us had wanderlust and it appears to have only been in remission for 40 years. Of course most of us do not want to relive sleeping in tents and getting eaten by mosquitoes. After years of work we deserve some creature comforts. This leads a few to purchase opulent vehicles for their return to nature but that is not I.

I am comfortable within 32’ of fiberglass in most places except out on the lake in poor conditions. There is heat, a functional kitchen, a nice bathroom and even a tolerable shower if need be. My venue is wood lined and has a folksy charm about it. I even have another equally as charming boat hanging off the back. In boating parlance I do not have 2-footitist.

Mid life was about achieving. At that stage I wondered where I was going with my life. Would my goals/dreams ever materialize? In my case I did not see it happening, so I (with the support of my wife) changed course. It lead me on a decade long voyage that turned out to be one of the great adventures of my life; one that I am still trying to unravel. I suppose psychotherapy might help quicken the process but I have never been one for doctors.

I knew something was up when I started to let my magazine subscriptions lapse. I have always loved magazines. They are the perfect venue for planning a dream. In most cases they are practical, at least the ones I get. One day I noticed that I had read the articles before. Not the exact ones but close enough. I had come full circle and probably knew as much as the writer. The difference between them and me was that they had figured out how to do “it”.

It could be anything. In my case it is going on an extended cruise in my 32-footer. For some it is running a marathon or driving to Alaska or writing a novel or, or, or. Two thirds (if your lucky) of your life is gone. Your skin is getting spots. You need glasses and a light to read a menu. A podiatrist is needed to carve growths off your feet and let’s not even talk about the urologist. It has become painfully obvious that you do not have forever anymore. Your biological time on earth is coming to a close.

But I will lighten up. If you are healthy and not in a drug or alcohol stupor it is a wonderful time to meet fellow 2/3rders. Nobody is out to prove anything. If schedules do not work out, well then we will see you next year. Past professions matter less than present ability and resourcefulness. Tolerance and flexibility are coveted traits. Though there are cliques, they are not malicious. They are based on destinations or on your ride.

What I mean to say is that most of the things we concern ourselves with in the work-a-day world, 2/3rders just don’t give a hoot about. I hope the wanderlust never fades until I reach 3/3rd and at that point who cares!

No comments: