Monday, June 9, 2014

Preliminary


Most trips have a run up period. Time devoted to dreaming, research, logistics, outfitting and eventually getting the hell out of Dodge. A cruise on a small personal boat is no different. The only difference is the systems that need to be addressed. By systems I mean everything from the engine to the toilet. And now in the 21st century on board information technology eats a lot prep time.

A small boat cruise is more of an expedition than a vacation. Water, the vagaries of weather and being responsible for your own butt differentiate it. Thus for the last four years much of the time after New Years has been spent contemplating spring and a return to Carrie Rose (CR).

It is odd to have her sequestered in Alexandria Bay, NY. As most people have a picture of a loved one on their desk I have an 8 ½” x 11” picture of CR anchored in a distant bay. I need it there to remind myself that the purpose of my labor still exist even though I cannot jump in the car to go visit it.

The proper Canadian permits have been secured. The United States government has collected copious information concerning both Charlotte and I. We have been the recipients of several new numbers, as has CR. We would certainly be extra paranoid it we were Tea Party followers.

Last August when we departed CR we told ourselves that everything needed to cruise is on the boat. Other than water, food and alcohol we are ready to go on another three-month sojourn. I remind myself of this as I think of things to bring. Being on the water is compelling enough that distractions are rarely necessary. I wonder about the boats with multiple gyroscopic domes adorning their super structures. These allow access to the Internet, to satellite TV and phone, and who knows what else, Facebook I suppose. I know people have more complex lives than we. Kids, grand kids, businesses, aging parents; the list goes on and on.

I do not begrudge them. It is just that I consider myself lucky if I get through one book in three months. Staring out of the pilothouse windows seems an appropriate way to spend most afternoons.

This year I will have my flute. If I can concentrate enough I may not have to relearn to play it in the fall. I’m not proficient enough to consider myself more than a nuisance, so I am not sure where I will practice.

We have our plane reservations, someone to drive us to and pick us up from the airport, a place to stay in NY and a generously donated car once we get there. So on June 10th we’ll head out and see how far these preliminaries get us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Living the dream.