Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Bimini

Island View Marina Kent Island, MD

What is the big deal about a bimini that this discussion will require hundreds of words, well I’ll tell you. The first big deal is that we finally have one. This has been on our wish list since Carrie Rose was purchased in 2003. The fact that we have one is not for the want of trying. What delayed its acquisition (at least for the first decade) was my tendency to jury rig.

For those not mechanically bent, jury rig means to try to replicate a professional’s craftsmanship with one’s own efforts. Of course, since “one” has no training and is trying to do it on the cheap the effort is mainly wasted. If any product is produced, it tends to be inferior and many times almost as costly.

It is a rare person that can replicate the efforts of a professional. I have known one or two, certainly less than five in my lifetime. They are the kind of people that myths are created about. On occasion, I can be counted amongst the few, but rarely. I am too willing to compromise, to settle for almost as good, to be chintzy on the materials, and lastly to try and get artistic.

This tendency often leads to long delays and cost overruns. Charlotte has been patient with my foibles. At times, when even her patience is tried, I am reminded that we end up with three of everything before obtaining the correct one.


But enough of me, five years ago Carrie Rose started on her journey east. It was quickly apparent that a shade on the stern of the boat would make life more comfortable. The sun is a blessing and a curse. Many days, even in the far north, to be able to lounge on the aft deck protected from the solar wind would be welcomed. To that end, whenever we reached our final destination for the year we would inquire about canvas makers.

Seems simple enough, where there are boats there is usually folk skilled in the craft of designing and making the many covering that boats require. There are shades for the exterior windows, there are chairs and sofas and bunks for the interior. Many boats have elaborate contrivances enclosing an upper steering station or a cockpit that in effect creates another room. I have rarely seen one of these creations done poorly, so I know there are qualified persons out there able to make a bimini for Carrie Rose.

And that is the point of this discussion; it took us five years to find one. To our queries, each marina owner in turn responded positively, sung the praises of and gave us the card of a canvas maker, and as we expectantly walked out of the office to give the individual a call, we would be stopped with the caveat, “They do excellent work but they are a little quirky”.

One was cranky, one forgetful, another had timetable issues, some would not venture to our remote location, and on and on. One we even met. He drove up in a sagging LaSabre with his imported Chinese wife and his sidekick poodle, deposited both on the boat, and then proceeds to talk about anything and everything unrelated to canvas. I think we ended up serving them snacks and drinks! Nonetheless, nothing ever came of it. I know that is a double negative but in this case, it is entirely warranted.

And I know you are doubtless sick of this tirade. I mean what a problem to have, not being able to spent thousands of dollar on a bimini while cruising around the country. I can hear it, “We should all have such problems.” And I am sympathetic to it, so I will end this tale simply by saying Carrie Rose has acquired a beautiful and functional bimini.

A sweet and competent couple from Cambridge, Maryland made it. If you need some canvas work and are in the area, call me and I will give you their names.

No comments: